Sunday, June 17, 2012

Author Blog Challenge - Day 16

Did you publish your book as a traditionally printed book, an eBook, or both? How did you come to your decision? Which company(ies) did you use for printing and distribution? How did you select them?

Since I haven't published a book I can at least give my perspective as a reader and my buying habits. More and more I purchase only eBooks, I bought a Sony eReader two years ago and I love it. The problem has been the lack of books on the Sony store, what I mean is that even though they have a good selection, most of the indie writers I meet only offer their books on Amazon.

For some time I did buy books from Amazon and they went to the Cloud Reader on my laptop, but reading from my computer is not the same. Eventually I gave in and bought a Kindle Touch, so now I won't miss all the book deals and will be able to support indie writers!

I haven't bought a physical book in some time (other than graphic novels), but according to one of my clients, her digital sales nearly doubled once she introduced her book in print. Our theory is that the book comes up in the regular Amazon book store and when a potential client clicks on it for more details, they see a digital book at a lower price and decide to buy that instead. Either way, she's happy she added the printed version.

As for books on author's websites, I would purchase their book if I was directed to a distributor store, such as Lulu.com or if they accepted Paypal. I would be wary of entering my information into an unknown website.

While I have less books on my bookshelf, my eReader hard drive is filling up with books! Keep them coming!


1 comment:

  1. I agree with you and your friend. There are a lot of tried and true readers that won't read digitally. I like tangible books myself :) WRITE ON!

    ReplyDelete