Sunday, November 7, 2010

Halloween Costumes and the Zombie Walk 2010

Hey there:

My Halloween weekend was pretty interesting, this year I got to wear three costumes for different events. The cool thing is that it all came together a week before Halloween and I was able to use a lot items I already had from previous years.

On YouTube I saw a tutorial on how to do a Catrina or Day of the Dead makeup, very easy and unique, although time consuming, it took me nearly two hours to complete. I did this costume for the office Halloween lunch, this year lots of people dressed up, but I won first place (for the 2nd time in 5 years). I loved the costume even though I could not smile, eat or drink while wearing the makeup.


For this costume I used an old skirt I had from the days I used to perform Polynesian dances, paired with a red top, since the yellow top that came with the outfit no longer fits. The colorful rebozo was a gift brought to me from Oaxaca by a friend of mine. The necklace is a portrait of Frida Kahlo and put on nails that prevented me from doing any typing all day, and used a black wig so I could have the long braid with a red flower. 



The following night I went to a Halloween party with some friends and decided on an ironic costume, an angel. In this case my face was as natural as possible, I found the costume & wig at Walmart and pimped out the halo and wings with feathers and glitter. Received a lot of laughs and protests since this look was "not me" but it looks great in the pictures with all my friends. The funny thing is that mine was the scariest costume, the party was outdoors and while people were talking all of a sudden they would spot in the corner of their eyes something white approaching, more than one person jumped in fright!


The following day was the first Zombie Walk in Mexicali, Mexico organized by a friend of mine from High School. It was a great treat to participate, but also to see my friend. I felt a little awkward, definitely out of my comfort zone since I had to act like a zombie. Mainly all I did was walk as if I was asleep with a limp. I did manage to scare a cousin, an old lady and almost made a kid cry. Can't wait to do it again next year!


For this costume, I used a wedding dress I found at Salvation Army some years ago (good thing it still fit) smeared some blood in it and tore the veil. People at the event put on the makeup and a girl gave me the dead flowers since they looked better on me. This picture looks amazing, it was taken by some guy and found it on Facebook, he allowed me to tag it to my profile. Since the event I've heard from several relatives that they've seen me on TV....how embarrassing!



This was a successful, if small, Zombie Walk. 

I made this small video of the event and you can find more of them in YouTube by searching for Zombie Walk Mexicali 2010. 




1 comment: